Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday Soup

On Sunday afternoons, in the fall and winter, I like to make a big pot of soup. Even though it was 80 degrees today (not great soup weather), I went ahead with it. I was starting to hit that wall that I sometimes hit in the afternoon. Some days, I'll have a big glass of iced coffee to get me through it. Today I settled for Gorillaz "Demon Days". If that album doesn't get you going, I don't think anything will. My first exposure to "Demon Days" was seeing the Gorillaz perform it live on one of those DirectTV free-music channels. Mine and Sleek's jaws hit the floor. We were completely blown away. Funny Gorillaz story: I guess we listened to the Gorillaz a lot after that, because Sleek and I were discussing The Monkees one day. Our daughter asked who The Monkees were. We told her that they were a band. She said, "Oh. Sort of like the Gorillaz?"

So, on to the soup. I decided to make just a basic vegetable soup, and then top it off with some simple Bisquick dumplings. I started by pouring into a large pot: 32 oz. of No-Chicken broth, a 28oz can of diced tomatos, and another can of 28oz diced tomatoes that I pureed in the blender. To that I added one cube of vegetable bouillon and some salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and oregano. Next, I diced (1 inch dice) 3 enormous potatoes. I threw those in, and sliced 2 really big carrots. I brought it up to boil, then reduced the heat and simmered for about 2 hours. Then, I added 1/2 a bag of frozen cut green beans and about 1/2 a bag of lima beans. I let that simmer for about 30 minutes. The pot was so full, that I had to ladle out a decent amount of soup before adding the dumplings. So, I put the dumplings in and let them cook. 20 minutes later, the soup was ready. Very nice for a Sunday evening dinner.

2 comments:

BirdMadGirl said...

I saw that Gorillaz special too :) They are fantastic!!

I'm suffering from a nasty cold right now and my boyfriend made a huge pot of chili yesterday during our snow storm. That hit the spot. I love how soups and chilis always seem to make illness and frigid weather not so bad.

Susan Chipley said...

Snow storm?! Holy crap! That makes the 80 degree weather we've been having slightly more acceptable.