Saturday, October 27, 2007

Chickpea and Spinach Curry

As I've mentioned before, Sleek and I really dig Indian food. We haven't had it too often recently because our local Indian joint closed. So, I've been searching for easy Indian-inspired dishes to make. Tonight's choice was the Chickpea and Spinach Curry from VWaV. Since it is a weekend, Sleek was home to give me a hand in the kitchen, which mostly means keeping the kids occupied. He did manage to get my garlic and ginger minced, though. This recipe was extremely quick and easy. I couldn't find cardamom pods at Kroger, and didn't feel like going all the way downtown to look for some. I used just a pinch of ground cardamom instead. I don't think it made any difference. If anything, it was better. It makes me ill when I bite into a cardamom pod hidden in Indian food. Seriously, I almost threw up once when it happened. So, I think I'll just stick with ground. It turned out so well we just couldn't believe it. Sleek went on and on about how good it was. He liked it better than the Channa Masala. The only thing that could possibly make it better would be scooping it up with some naan. I served it over a bed of jasmine rice. I'm sure from now on, jasmine rice will be that standard for Indian dishes around here.

I also made a batch of pie crust today. Sleek requested a sweet-onion quiche for our Sunday morning breakfast. It came out much better than my last attempt. The dough was much easier to work with, and I didn't feel the need to chug down a beer after I was finished. I'll most more on the quiche tomorrow. The onions are cooking right now, and they smell so good!

Well, today I didn't listen to a single bit of music. Actually, that's not true. We were playing "Name That Tune" in the car today. The kids really like that. They love to hum songs and have us guess what they are. They're pretty cool little creatures, they are. We did watch the Mountaineers kick Rutgers' ass this afternoon. That ruled.

3 comments:

BirdMadGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BirdMadGirl said...

(Sorry, that delete was me... I hate when I misuse the word "You're", hehe... all fixed!)


I really need to try some Indian food. I think Helskel and I are going to go Friday night :) I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

(Happy Halloween!!! And I dig your new pic! Such a hottie!) ;)

Susan Chipley said...

Awwww, jeesh Valyna! Thanks! I think I'm blushing. Happy Halloween to you too!