Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Autumn Glory and Barbefu

Well, yesterday my little fella and I headed over the mountains for a night at my parents' house. I had a hair appointment in Virginia today, and it's kind of close to their house so we made it an overnight visit. We left Morgantown yesterday evening, heading southwest. Fall foliage seems to be at its peak right now, and the drive was just amazing. I'm talking make-you-cry beautiful. I wish I would've had my camera so I could post some pics.

I was hoping the little guy would fall asleep so I could chill and listen to "All Things Considered" on the drive. Well, three-year-olds don't really work that way. It ended up being a drive of incessant questioning of all things mundane. Examples include, "What's it look like inside a chimney?", "What's it look like in a tree?", "Where does George Bush live?", "Why don't you like him?". Okay, so maybe they weren't all mundane, but I didn't really want to get involved in a political discussion with a three-year-old. Finally, I guess he tired of question/answer, and asked to listen to Mull Historical Society's "This is Hope". The kids request this one frequently, and I've heard it a bazillion times, but I can't deny them good music that they love. It made a nice soundtrack for our last hour over the mountains.

On the trip home today, I was starving couldn't wait to get back home. He requested Joseph Arthur's "Nuclear Daydream". At least he made it through the second track "Black Lexus" before he fell asleep. That one is one of his favorite songs, and he requests that I sing it at bedtime. It was very foggy and drizzly driving back, but the mountains still looked absolutely beautiful. On rainy days, for some reason I'm totally compelled to listen to Damien Rice's "9 Crimes." So, that's what I turned on next. Great album for a rainy day.

I finally arrived home, and it was late. I wanted to make something quick and easy, so I made some barbeque tofu sandwiches. (I've decided to call it barbefu.) Really easy. I press the tofu, slice it into 1/4 inch slices and brown it on both sides in a hot skillet. Then, I just dump some bbq sauce on it. I like Annie's bbq sauce. I toasted the buns, sprinkled on some cheddar cheese, then topped them with sauteed onions. Very good for a quick and easy meal!

So, you may be wondering...Is it worth it to drive seven hours, round-trip to get your hair done? Hell yes!

2 comments:

olives and more said...

I've been dealing with the daily "101 Why? Questions"....and it's driving me bananas! I'm gonna have to check out some new music..BTW, love the hair and the blue nail polish.

Susan Chipley said...

Awwwww. Thanks olives! The nail polish is all chipped now. For some reason I've been digging chipped nail polish, though. It's like sexy in a trashy way or something. Yeah, I a FREAK!