Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Honey-baked Lentils

Yesterday evening was leftovers, so I really looked forward to cooking this evening. We had one of our regular favorites, Honey-baked lentils. I make it every few weeks because it's so easy and we like it so much. There are a million things you can do with this recipe. Some people add chopped vegetables and vary the spices. Here is the way I like it:

2 cups lentils (I like to use the red lentils)
4 cups water
1 chopped onion
4 TBS Shoyu
4 TBS Honey
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 tsp ground ginger
1 large clove of garlic, minced

Mix all of the above in large baking dish, and bake for 1.5 hours at 350 degrees.


I had a side of oven fries and sauteed broccoli with it. Very good. The picture isn't that great. I think the color of the plate has something to do with it. (At least that's what I'm telling myself.)

I seem to be addicted to NPR these days. I just can't tear myself away. I wake up in the morning and turn it on immediately. All day long, if I'm in the house, it's on! HELP!

Cute kid quote of the day: "Mommy, we're going to give you a break. We got all the art stuff out of the closet. Luckily, Julian helped me. We're going to make some things and you can have some quiet time." That's from my 5 year-old daughter.

7 comments:

carrie said...

I've been seeing honey baked lentils pop up on "What's for Dinner" on MDC a lot lately and have been wanting to try it. This will be dinner at our house in the weeks to come.

Susan Chipley said...

You'll love it!

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Yyyyyyyummmmmm!!!! That sounds sooooo good. I am clueless about what to do with lentils, so am glad to find a tried-and-true recipe for them. I will have to try this.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

BTW -- is that Fiestaware? I have the same color plates. :)

Susan Chipley said...

Why yes, Rebecca, it is. I have it in many, many colors.

Susan Chipley said...

rebecca: You definitely won't be disappointed with the lentils. I know what you mean about not knowing what to do with the damn things. That's my only lentil dish. I'm working on that though.

Also, in photos, I think that color plate makes the food look weird. Like 60s-ish or something. Kinda campy.

Melissavina said...

Yum!! I want some now.