Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Honey-baked Lentils

Yesterday evening was leftovers, so I really looked forward to cooking this evening. We had one of our regular favorites, Honey-baked lentils. I make it every few weeks because it's so easy and we like it so much. There are a million things you can do with this recipe. Some people add chopped vegetables and vary the spices. Here is the way I like it:

2 cups lentils (I like to use the red lentils)
4 cups water
1 chopped onion
4 TBS Shoyu
4 TBS Honey
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 tsp ground ginger
1 large clove of garlic, minced

Mix all of the above in large baking dish, and bake for 1.5 hours at 350 degrees.


I had a side of oven fries and sauteed broccoli with it. Very good. The picture isn't that great. I think the color of the plate has something to do with it. (At least that's what I'm telling myself.)

I seem to be addicted to NPR these days. I just can't tear myself away. I wake up in the morning and turn it on immediately. All day long, if I'm in the house, it's on! HELP!

Cute kid quote of the day: "Mommy, we're going to give you a break. We got all the art stuff out of the closet. Luckily, Julian helped me. We're going to make some things and you can have some quiet time." That's from my 5 year-old daughter.

7 comments:

carrie said...

I've been seeing honey baked lentils pop up on "What's for Dinner" on MDC a lot lately and have been wanting to try it. This will be dinner at our house in the weeks to come.

The Dalai Mama said...

You'll love it!

Rebecca Burch said...

Yyyyyyyummmmmm!!!! That sounds sooooo good. I am clueless about what to do with lentils, so am glad to find a tried-and-true recipe for them. I will have to try this.

Rebecca Burch said...

BTW -- is that Fiestaware? I have the same color plates. :)

The Dalai Mama said...

Why yes, Rebecca, it is. I have it in many, many colors.

The Dalai Mama said...

rebecca: You definitely won't be disappointed with the lentils. I know what you mean about not knowing what to do with the damn things. That's my only lentil dish. I'm working on that though.

Also, in photos, I think that color plate makes the food look weird. Like 60s-ish or something. Kinda campy.

Melissavina said...

Yum!! I want some now.