Friday, December 14, 2007

Black-Bean Soup

Last night, I finally got to make my black-bean soup. I had cooked my beans on Wednesday, planning to make it that evening. I realized that I was out of onion, and Sleek was working late. I didn't feel like loading up the kids and driving to the store for onion, so I thought I'd make my tuna casserole that I'd planned for Saturday. Ha! I got out my can opener, which I realized was stripped. I finally settled for a can of tomato soup (opened with the sharp side of a bottle opener) and a grilled swiss on rye sandwich. It really hit the spot, so I wasn't too upset about the previous turn of events.

So, bean soup. I got the recipe from my White Grass Cafe cookbook, which I've mentioned before. It is a very simple soup to make. At the end, you puree it all in a blender. It wasn't as thick as I thought it would be, and I had to use way more seasonings than the recipe suggested. It really turned out good, though. I've never made a bad soup from that cookbook!

To go along with the soup, I made some sweet-potato fries. Slice up a sweet potato, toss in a smidge of oil, sprinkle with salt, cumin and chili powder. Bake them at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, tossing them after 15 minutes. Delicious.

Annelies has been bugging me to make apple scones for her. So, yesterday I whipped up a batch. I used Alton Brown's recipe from the Food Network website. I made a few changes, though. I substituted 1/4 cup of the cream with apple cider, and also added a cup of chopped apples. Damn. They're awesome. Of course, Annelies doesn't like them. Typical.


No comments: