Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Twelve Days of Goodies: Part II

Oh yes I am doing four posts in one day! Today I had the whole house cleaned by 1 p.m. I was bored. I had nothing to do. Julian was upstairs watching a dvd. A rarity. He's almost always climbing all over me. Really. So, I decided to go ahead and make a pan of Seven-Layer Bars. They are a childhood-favorite of mine. They are still a favorite. If I wouldn't have cut them and put them in the freezer, I'd be eating every last one. I really could. The photo here to the right didn't turn out that great, but I'm sure everyone knows about these magical bars anyway. If not you're missing out. So damn simple, but so good! I make them the same way my mom did:

Melt 1 stick of butter or margarine in 9x13 pan
Pat in 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs
Add one cup of chocolate chips and one cup of butterscotch chips
Add one cup of coconut
Top with a can of condensed milk (YUM! Yep, I licked the spatula!)
Sprinkle with a cup of chopped pecans

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into bars.


By the way...All these goodies I'm making are pretty much going straight into the freezer. The week before Christmas, I'll start making up trays and packages for our friends and family. We're not doing a full-month sugar binge here, in case anyone was wondering. Sleek, the kids and I are allowed a sample or two from each batch, though.

2 comments:

HopSkipJump said...

I know these bars well... they remind me of potluck dinners in the church basement when I was a kid. I would pretty much be sick by the end of the evening because I kept stealing so many of them (which wouldn't surprise you if you saw pictures of me back in the day).

Susan Chipley said...

IF: Awwww. That's so cute. I bet you were adorable.