Monday, November 12, 2007

Moroccan Chickpea Stew

After a few days of not cooking, I was glad to find myself back in the kitchen today. Sleek and I had a busy weekend of decluttering/cleaning our house. It was hard work, but it's so nice in here now. So worth it.

A few weeks ago when I received my November issue of Cooking Light, I began looking through it and saw a recipe for Moroccan Chickpea stew. (The pic on the right looks out of focus, but it's just steam rising from the bowl.) It looked really easy, and good, so I decided that I'd be making it soon. Today was the day. It was really, really easy. It was also very good, but didn't have as much flavor as I would like. The other chickpea dishes I've made, Channa Masala and Spinach and Chickpea Curry, were more flavorful. The Moroccan stew was so easy that it really was worth it, though.

The recipe called for a dollop of plain yogurt to finish the dish, so I got my favorite, Fage Greek yogurt. It is so good. Really. The best plain yogurt I've ever tasted. It really made the stew.

I've been listening the hell out of the new Beirut album that I downloaded last week, The Flying Club Cup. Please indulge me and check out this live performance of "Nantes", one of my favorite songs on the album. It's really amazing.

5 comments:

SleekPelt said...

You're Beirut-mad, DM. No wonder.

Nice dinner tonight, and you're right, the yogurt made the dish.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

I've heard a lot about Beirut lately, but haven't actually heard anything by them. I'll have to check 'em out.

The stew looks good!

Susan Chipley said...

rebecca: I've been thinking about emailing Larry Groce, and begging him to get Beirut on Mountain Stage.

carrie said...

I've tried a few Moroccan spiced veggie dishes and they never seem to have enough flavor for us. I always have to do a little playing around with them to get them right. I always skip the yogurt garnish, because I never keep plain yogurt on hand, yuck. Maybe I'll have to buy some and try it next time I make a dish like this.

Susan Chipley said...

carrie: I never keep it on hand either. The good thing about the Fage yogurt, is that I can get it in a single-serving container. It's hard to find a small plain yogurt.