Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Green Chile and Rice Casserole

My sister-in-law got me a new cookbook for Christmas this year. (We already exchanged gifts with Sleek's brothers and their families.) The cookbook is called The Hippy Gourmet's Quick and Simple Cookbook for Healthy Eating. Apparently, there was once a PBS show, The Hippy Gourmet. I somehow have never heard of it. Anyway, it's a pretty cool cookbook. After looking through it, I couldn't wait to try out some of the recipes. Last night was the first one. The Green Chile and Rice Casserole. I've been wanting to make a good, reasonably healthy Mexican-style casserole for quite a while. This recipe called for two cups of sour cream and three cups of Monterey Jack cheese. I don't know...I didn't want to turn this into a somewhat healthier version of the Pizza Bake, so I only used about 1 1/4 cups of light sour cream and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. It was delicious. I can't imagine that it would've been better with the full amounts of sour cream and cheese.

To go with it, I made my same old refried beans and some broccoli. Sleek and I have been wanting Mexican, and this definitely hit the spot.



I was in the mood for some classical music, and my NPR stream kept cutting out on me. I made a fantastic new discovery: Pandora's classical, string-ensemble station. I don't know folks, I may be listening to that for the next month, at least!

4 comments:

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Any excuse to make something with cheese and green chiles makes me happy. :)

The Mexicans have the food thing down. I ♥ Mexican food. My bro gave me "Mexican Cooking for Dummies" for Christmas a few years ago, and it's my fave cookbook because it teaches real Mexican cooking (not the Taco Bell kind) and even the techniques used in Mexican kitchens. It's got a lot of healthy recipes (and a lot of veg ones, or ones that could be easily veggified.)

Susan Chipley said...

Ohhh. That sounds like an excellent cookbook. I love Mexican food, but we don't have a decent Mexican restaurant here in Mo-town!

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

I made the casserole! I don't have your cookbook, but I looked it up on Allrecipes.com and found something similar. I will have to bring it to the next teacher potluck. Lots of vegetarians on the staff.

I would highly recommend the Mexican for Dummies cookbook if you're looking for one. It's got recipes for all the restaurant faves, but they're usually healthier than what you get when you eat out -- and better, because you can

Susan Chipley said...

Awesome, rebecca! I'm definitely going to check out Mexican for Dummies next time I'm at the bookstore.