Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sweet and Savory Lentils by Carrie

Okay, this is the first time I've posted within minutes of eating. I just can't help it. Dinner was out-of-control good. I made Carrie's Sweet and Savory Lentils, which she blogged about way back when. I don't think I'll be making the honey-baked lentils anymore. These are WAY better. They will definitely be in regular rotation around here.

I also made some mashed sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts to go with them. Since my oven was in use for the lentils, I boiled the sweet potatoes. I'm very, very glad I did. They are a bit difficult to peel and cut, but it was so worth it! I boiled them with water, about 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2TBS Earth Balance, a good sprinkling of cinnamon, a pinch of cayenne, and a good pinch of salt. I boiled them, covered, for about 15 minutes. Then I took the lid off and let them simmer for about 15 more minutes, until the liquid got thick and syrup-y. I did end up draining off some of the liquid at the end. Then I mashed them up a bit. They are just so freaking good!

I made some brussel sprouts as well. I just sliced them up and sauteed them in some canola oil for a few minutes. I just used salt, pepper and some garlic powder to season them. They seemed especially good. I think I just needed to get some veggies in my body.

I wrote the other day about how I seem to be in a funk right now, and I went through the same thing a year ago. Well, today I discovered that I have every single symptom of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE! It's so weird, my brain tells me that eating better and getting some physical activity would help, but it sure isn't what my body is telling me! Another crazy symptom I've been having is the desire to lay in bed and watch Lifetime movies. Now, I haven't really done it (well, I did watch one Lifetime movie yesterday), but the desire is there. One of the symptoms is intense craving for carbs. Hmmm. I guess that would explain the pack of hamburger buns that disappeared in the last two days. Plus the vanilla wafers. Plus the crackers.

The meal I made this evening actually gave me hope, though. Hope that if I make really tasty, healthy things, that's what my body will start wanting again. If not, at least I can count on being back to myself by the end of February!

OMG! Check out Carrie's blog and see what she made for dinner this evening. CRAZY!

1 comment:

carrie said...

Oh my god, DM, we had the same exact dinner tonight!! You'll have to check out my post over at AIV......too funny!!