Thursday, April 3, 2008

Popeye Pasta

With Sleek's arrival home this evening, I was back in the kitchen. I tried another recipe from ED&BV, Popeye Pasta. It was very easy to make, and so tasty. A nice change from the typical pasta dish. The sauce is made from crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic, Italian seasonings and agave nectar. At the end, you add a bunch of spinach. Again, so easy. I garnished mine with some chopped sun-dried tomatoes. I can eat those right out of the jar, if I'm feeling particularly naughty. I'll definitely be making this one again, but I really can't wait to try out the Olive Oyl pasta from the same cookbook. Carrie made it once, and when I saw that was when I knew I had to have ED&BV!


While Sleek was away, I pretty much stayed out of the kitchen. I cooked a few little things for the kids, but I pretty much lived on smoothies. Generally, one meal each day is a smoothie. They're so good! Here's how I make mine: I put a mixture of orange juice and pineapple juice equaling six ounces into the blender cup. Then I add several chunks of frozen mango and a small handful of frozen blueberries. Next, I add a TBS of flax oil, a massive handful of fresh spinach, and a sliced banana. Then I mix it all up using an immersion blender. It's so easy. I know people think the spinach is weird, but honestly, you can't even taste it. It just tastes sweet and fruity. When we get kale from the CSA, I use it instead of spinach.




Before Sleek left, he loaded up my iPod with the new Joseph Arthur EP and the second disc from In Rainbows. The Joseph Arthur is just off the hook. Apparently he's releasing several EPs this spring before releasing his new LP this summer. He's back to doing solo stuff, and it's a nice change. You really get a good feel for just how good his voice is. I really, really hope he does a solo tour. The second disc from In Rainbows is awesome too, as expected. Just over a month until the Radiohead show. WooooHoooo!

8 comments:

carrie said...

Both of those pasta dishes are so good, not to mention easy to make. My kids love the Popeye Pasta, which is really cool since they don't like spinach many other ways.

When does your CSA start?? Ours starts in 3 weeks and I can't wait!!

moneytastesbad said...

at the risk of sounding ignorant, what is CSA? Is it some acronym for the Farmers Market?

Let me guess....

Community Supported Agriculture?

Anonymous said...

That's what I was gonna ask, MTB! I'm guessing it's a co-op garden?

Susan Chipley said...

Yes.  It stands for community supported agriculture.  Ours is with Evans Knob Farm in Preston County.  You pay upfront, and during the growing season, you pick up your veggies/fruit once a week. (They do the drop-off here in Mo-town.)  You pretty much get whatever they grow.  Evans Knob has an awesome variety, and usually around mid-July, you're getting way more than you can possible use in a week's time.  They sell at the farmer's market here in Mo-town as well.  They also have fresh, pastured, organic eggs and lots of grain-fed organic meats. 

 

Carrie: Our CSA farm is another county over.  It's at a higher altitude than Morgantown, so ours doesn't start until late May.   

SleekPelt said...

Being in a CSA program is so awesome. I love going to pick everything up.

I think the first year of Evans Knob Farm + Chez Mama is going to mean good things in our house.

Chessa said...

Yum, that pasta sounds so tasty and easy! I NEED to get that cookbook!

So envious of everyone whose CSAs are starting soon! Ours starts in mid-May, I think, but since we go out of town for basically the entire month of mid-May through mid-June, we don't ever really start our share until July. :/

Just like Stella Used to Make said...

http://www.greensrestaurant.com/bg.html
check out thses cookbooks. Amazing fresh ingredients. I have one and am going to get more.

Susan Chipley said...

stella: You know, I've looked at the "Field of Greens" cookbook many times. I've wanted it ever since you brought the couscous with blood oranges to book club. That was a long time ago!