Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pasta and Zucchini Cake

A couple weeks ago, Carrie posted about a pasta dish she had made using some of her CSA veggies. It had a maple-dijon sauce, which I thought sounded like something different and delicious. I knew I would have to try that one. I did, and it was fantastic. I doubled the recipe and we had a dinner plus two days of leftovers. YUM!

We've been getting so much zucchini, and I have had a hard time finding a zucchini bread recipe that I love. So, I came across this recipe for zucchini cake. It's actually very much like zucchini bread, but baked in a bundt pan. The chocolate chips give some extra yum-factor. I followed the recipe from The Post Punk Kitchen (authors of VWaV and V-con), but I made the following substitutions: For half the flour, I used whole-wheat pastry. For half the sugar, I used sucanat. For half the oil, I used unsweetened applesauce. This cake is so good. I have to highly recommend it as a really yummy way to use zucchini.


Today is Annelies's first day of first grade. I can't believe my little girl is in first grade. I can't believe that summer break is over. I am, however, looking forward to autumn and all that it brings. Crisp weather, soups and stews, pumpkin bread, football. My favorite season.

3 comments:

carrie said...

I wish you'd posted this recipe a few weeks ago when we were over-run with CSA zucchini!! Zucchini's pretty much come and gone here. I made a lot of veggie burgers with mine and froze them. We still get a small, stray one from time to time and I just throw it in whatever dish I happen to be making.

carrie said...

There were 4 huge zukes in my CSA share today....guess what I'm making this weekend!!!!

Susan Chipley said...

Oh, yum! I really think you'll love it.