Monday, September 29, 2008

Lots of Lentils, Chickpea Cutlets and A Pizza

I've really been doing some cooking the past several days. I enjoy cooking so much more when it isn't hot outside. I'd say we're full-on into fall at this point. Last Thursday, some friends invited us over for a big pot-luck party. I decided to take two dishes because I didn't know what vegan options would be available there. I decided on Carrie's sweet and savory lentils and some simple, mashed sweet-potatoes. The lentils were a HUGE hit. Talk about a good pot-luck dish! Easy to make and just perfect for this time of year.



Friday I decided to make some chickpea cutlets. They're a favorite around here for sure, and it had been quite a while since I'd made them. I wanted something a little different this time, so I made the Sweet Vidalia Onion Sauce, which is also in V-con. I also cooked some brown rice, and since I had a bunch of parsley from the CSA, I chopped it and added it to the cooked rice with some Earth Balance and salt. I steamed a bunch of kale and onions, which I seasoned with a dressing of red wine vinegar, sugar and a few drops of liquid smoke. The sweet onion sauce is soooo good. We used it for the cutlets and also to drizzle over the rice. What a fantastic dinner!



On Saturday, I made pizza because the kids just can't get enough of "Mama's homemade pizza". They're so sweet! Anyway, I made the kids their ususal cheese pizza. For Sleek and myself, I lightly sauteed a few cloves of minced garlic in some olive oil and brushed that over the dough. Then I added some Oliverio's Sweet Italian Peppers. (I can't believe they don't have a website!) They're kind of a local specialty item that Sleek grew up eating often and loving dearly. It was fantastic. There are really so many different things you can do with pizza to change it up and make it interesting.



I've been wanting to make some naan since I seem to make Indian food quite often. A while back, Carrie had posted aboutmaking naan. I swore I'd give it a try. Then I came across what I think is the same recipe via the forums over at The PPK. I decided to give it a try. I needed to find a good substitute for the yogurt, and we can't get plain soy yogurt around here. I decided to go with Better Than Sour Cream. I brushed it with Earth Balance after baking. It was phenomenal! I used my pizza stone as recommended, but I guess my "high" broiler setting is hotter than most because my stone ended up cracking and breaking. I'll have to be getting a new one ASAP! I set the broiler to low for the next batch (I was still able to use the stone to finish) and the naan came out much better. So, I look forward to making it often. It went perfectly with the Tamarind Lentils from V-con. They are so good and extemely easy to make. For a quick and easy dinner, it sure was delicious.

10 comments:

carrie said...

Lots of really awesome thing you've been cooking. Have you tried Follow Your Heart Mozzarella for your kids pizza? My kids also love cheese pizza, and they do get it if we go out, but at home I use FYH and they are fine with it. If you decide to try it, I'll warn you that you have to shred the cheese finely, and use far less than you'd use of dairy cheese, and cook it very high (like 475), and it will melt. It doesn't taste exactly like cheese, but it gives that creamy and salty thing that the cheese does.

Susan Chipley said...

Carrie: I can't get FYH Mozzerella here. I've occasionally seen a package of FYH nacho at the co-op. Of course, I could order some but it would have to be an entire case! LOL

HopSkipJump said...

Naan? You are superwoman. I can't believe you actually make the things you do everyday. Sleek is a lucky guy.

Susan Chipley said...

IF: The naan is really so easy to make. If I didn't have a passion for cooking, there's no way I'd be able to do this. It's like a hobby, really.

Melissavina said...

Hey!! So glad you're blogging again. Yum. So... You may have mentioned this before, but how did you make your pizza dough? Just curious. :)

carrie said...

Hey DM - Where've you been??

Susan Chipley said...

Hey, Melissavina! Nice to "see" you. Pizza Dough: First, I dissolve a tablespoon and a half of sugar in a cup of warm water. Then I add a little packet of active dry yeast. While it's getting bubbly, in a large bowl, I mix three cups of flour and a teaspoon of salt. Then I add in the yeast/water mixture and 2 TBS of olive oil. Mix it as well as possible, then knead for 10 minutes. Let rise for an hour. Knead again for a few minutes, then let it rest for about an hour (you can let it rest for several hours if you need to) before rolling it.

Carrie: I'm under the weather. I've had a chest cold for about a week. I've got a slight fever going on today. Hoping to put up a new post tonight. Are you feeling good about the election? I'm trying not to let myself get too hopeful, but when the polls start to swing in our way I start getting excited!

carrie said...

Excited indeed .....Feeling good about our chances, I mean really, it's time someone with some intelligence lead our country , not to mention someone with a plan. But, what I'm more excited for is Coldplay's new EP coming out in a few weeks!! I'm trying to talk Rob into taking me to another show on the upcoming second US leg.

carrie said...

By the way, I hope you are feeling better soon. There's a nasty chest cold going around town here too, my girls have both had it, uggh.

Susan Chipley said...

Dang! A new Coldplay EP? I can't wait for that! Off to check the dates on the second US leg of the tour.